Thursday, August 7, 2008

Reverse Culture Shock








Last week I had the pleasure of going back to the United States for a a very short week for my best friends wedding. I started of the trip in a frenzy waking up late and having to rush to the airport but not really rushing back because my journey took about 20 + hours. I flew to Tokyo and then Atlanta where Atlanta proceeded to loose my bags. My first culture shock was when I looked around the Atalanta airport and I find that about 70% of a all Americans seem to be overweight. It was shocking and depressing. How can we all look so lazy and overweight? The rest of the world doesn't seem to do this to themselves. THat was frusterating. Then off to Charlotte for a fun night with ALL of Jays family. Even though I had been flying for excessive hours I felt like it was about 10 in the morning so I was full of energy and it was great seeing everyone and Julie had made some of her great meals for my arrival. Unfortunately my Charlotte visit was short and the next morning my parents came to pick me up. Luckily my sister Leslie and her husband Pete have just moved to Charlotte from Hong Kong. And I got to see my nephew Henry. so cute. Anyways me and the parentals drove up to Asheville and wow I forgot how much I love a cool breeze and fresh clean air. I loved sitting on the deck at their house laying in the hammock and trying to suck in as much good air as I could. Another interesting concept was driving, first of all driving a car was almost foreign to me but the main thing was I could drive for maybe 10 minutes and not see another car or see another person. I could drive in peace and quiet again another alien concept here in Taiwan. I enjoyed seeing my family and seeing friends. I took Anna rock climbing on Looking Glass Rock for her wedding present. It was awesome. And I really found a new love for rock climbing and I think I really want to take up that sport. It is so thrilling and satisfying, you feel such a great deal of accomplishment. I really recommend it to anyone. When Jay and I go to Thailand I know it is known for its amazing rock climbing I am definately adding that adventure to our itinerary. Friday before the wedding we had lunch and the rehersal dinner and then we proceeded to go back to Anna's parents house for some hot tub action and the last bacholorette night for Anna. Then wedding day came...we got the hair done and went to the Monte Vista for the festivities. Anna looked beautiful and it turned out to be a great wedding. I had to sing for it and was a little nervouse since I changed my song 3 times the previous week.... I finally decieded on Edwin McCain "I could not ask for more." I tried not to break down in tears in the middle. James and Anna are a beautiful couple and I had a great time dancing and seeing all my good friends at the wedding. UNfortunately I had to fly back the next morning at 7 am from Charlotte so I only got 2 hours of sleep before taking off on my journey back home to Taiwan. Luckily and surprisingly Jay met me in Taipei so I didn't have to make the 2 hour bus trip back to Taichung by myself. It was a good trip and it gave me the energy to really make the most our of the next 4 months before we really come home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I always enjoy reading about how ya'll are doing on the other side of the world. Allie, glad you enjoyed the wedding and being at home in NC for a bit. OR is treating me well so far. I've got my week off at the moment so i head back on Thursday for 2 weeks of work. THis past week I was up in Molalla River Rec area for 3 nights camping. Off to a new are this coming weekend. I can't believe I get paid to go mtn biking, rock climbing, rafting etc!!! It's fantastic.
Anyway, hope the adventures continue to go well for you too. Best of luck with the last 4 months or so.
Much love, Paul